Friday, July 4, 2014

Minions & Lalaloopsy

Last year for my niece and nephew's birthday, we did the smurf theme. I did a post about the decorations, which I shared in another post. This year, my sister-in-law decided to do two separate themes, just half and half with the decorations. My nephew loves minions, and my niece loves Lalaloopsy. Now Cricut does not have cartridges for either of those, BUT the minions were pretty easy to do, using basic shapes. Using Cricut craft room, I welded a circle to the top of a long rectangle, to get the perfect body shape. I cut out silver circles and put googly eyes in the middle, and cut little black strips for the goggles. The mouths were from the "funny faces" cartridge, but could easily be drawn on in black marker.


The Lalaloopsy characters were made from the "Playtime" cartridge, and they took a lot more finagling. I layered some of the things like the hair and welded together pieces of the outfits, only because I wanted the outfits to look exactly like specific characters. If your little one really won't notice the difference, then it doesn't matter if you just use whatever colors or outfits you want. My niece has her favorite characters, like the one in the striped pajamas, so I wanted her to recognize them right away. Anyway the sticks in the middle are just dowel rods wrapped up in yarn, and I bought a value pack of pastel colored buttons from JoAnn to stick around randomly. My niece even stuck a bunch of buttons around the tables outside. 

Even though Cricut doesn't have licensed character cartridges for a lot of the popular movies or shows, don't be afraid to play around with what they DO have! I bet you'll come up with fun ideas! 


1 comment:

  1. Do you still have your Cricut pattern for the Lalaloopsy dolls? I have been searching everywhere and cannot find any patterns for Cricut anywhere!

    ReplyDelete