Friday, July 4, 2014

Mad Hatter


Hi there! So I already put up a post where I used the 3-D hat from the "Independence Day 3D" cricut digital cartridge to make "frosty the snowman" hats. This time I used it to make Mad Hatter hats for a cousin's Alice in Wonderland birthday! I loooove how these came out! I picked darker colors for the hat, and used black distress ink on all of the edges. I used what I thought were mad hatter-y patterned papers for the band around the middle, and then I just used rectangles of cream colored paper to make the size tag that he has stuck in the band. I used the "tea dye" distress ink color on those.





I made the teacups using the "cupcake wrapper" cartridge. This was a little fussy (and I discovered later that there is a cartridge that actually HAS a 3D teacup...but I hate buying a whole cartridge for just one image! I now have a Cricut Explore and can buy individual images, which has completely rocked my crafting world. But I digress...). What I did was cut a solid cupcake wrapper, then cut a plain circle for the base, and then cut a random letter C for the handle. It was reeeeally crazy to get them to stand up! I am sure there is a much better way to stack and put them together, but I was doing this a little bit at the last minute. I rolled tubes of paper with punched circles and the top and base, so it made a little support column. I used massive amounts of hot glue, and then I put a whole bunch of marbles (the vase-filler kind) in the bottom and used tons of glue and marbles to make the topsy-turvy weight even out on the second and third tiers. I covered all of the marbles with bright colored basket fluff. There were a few times I thought they were going to fall apart, and they were probably too flimsy for anything more than a one-time use. But they worked!



No comments:

Post a Comment